[lit-ideas] Re: eloquent

  • From: Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:23:42 -0400

I think it depends on where you are/were during the time frame. Perhaps the author was in the Iraqi Neverland?

____

Agreed. During my (ongoing) jury service, I learned a whole bunch of new Bronx phrases which were never part of my vocabulary. Here are some samples:

"Baby mother": A young man has a "wife" (who may or may not be legally a wife) and one or many more "baby mothers." Baby mothers are simply women whom one has conceived children by, and with whom one may or may not maintain contact. They are distinct from one's wife.

"Beat down": to severely injure someone for money, either in prison or on the streets. One does this either alone or in concert with others so hired.

"Blanket party" a type of assault that may be typical of a "beat down," in which a blanket is placed over someone's head and torso, which is then severely beaten by fists or blunt objects.

"Government name": one's given, legal name, as opposed to the name one is regularly known by. So if one is always known as "Machete" or "Hammer" that is one's real name, whereas one's government name may be John Doe or Richard Roe.

In Manhattan Neverland, Eric