[lit-ideas] Re: election results

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:47:01 -0500

RP:
Hillary Clinton defeated Barack Obama 365 to 351, in Harney County, Oregon, in today's primary, 100% of the precincts reporting.

I was alarmed when I first read this, worried that it might presage a desertion of white voters and signal a Hillary comeback. So I checked out the statistics. Harney County has 6,888 people living there. Of that population .2% are African Americans, a grand total of 14 people. Assuming that the black population of Harney County is representative of the rest of the Oregon population in age demographics, then 76.6 percent of those African Americans would be old enough to vote. Assuming as well that all of the voting age African Americans went to the polls and that all voted for Obama, then of the 351 votes cast for Obama, 11 were from African Americans -- a whopping .03%. That means that of the Obama vote 99.97% were cast by non African Americans. So, Harney County is no Kentucky or West Virginia. I feel better knowing that.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/41/41025.html

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>