[lit-ideas] Re: election results

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 00:35:29 -0700

Stephen Straker and I took a trip to Harney County, trying to reach the very middle of nowhere. We went in search of Basques, and found them, complete with a cafe that serves salt cod. Calculating how far we were from the nearest cod population took us quite a while. We stopped at the place where Sacagawea's son died of pneumonia in the prime of his life and after getting a German education. We went to visit Mike Hanley, who is the unofficial historian of the region. In his barn, while admiring his collection of buggies and stuff, we were introduced to a large placard, "Impeach Clinton."

Because of this experience, I doubt that Clinton's support in Harney county is straightforward support.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon
On May 20, 2008, at 9:24 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

Hillary Clinton defeated Barack Obama 365 to 351, in Harney County, Oregon, in today's primary, 100% of the precincts reporting.

Lots of sagebrush in Harney County.

Robert Paul,
watching, mostly