[lit-ideas] Re: eBay India's CEO in jail over video clip

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:13:21 EST

In a message dated 12/21/2004 1:46:09 PM Central Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
kid made  a video clip with his cellphone

Hi,
Well, considering that I'm kind of cynical, I think it should have been the
girl who was going to get the $$--she did the work, after all, even if she is
underage.  He was just exploiting her and from what it said, he didn't need
the $, either.  I doubt though that he was getting only 10%...which is all  he
should have received.  <wry look>

Still--you are right--the implications for the web are important.   Maybe it
will change from being the Wild Wild West (WWW) which had everything  all
running together ... until there was a little organization in town.  (a  bit
like
the comparison of Houston to most 'normal' cities, perhaps <wry  look>)

Maybe this situation, as well as the recent ebay one in England where the
young woman was selling 15 minutes of time with a part of her anatomy in order
to get money for college, along with a few other sensational ebay items  which
keep showing up [particularly lately] may cause businesses (ie ebay)  on the
web to create a 'red light district' which would allow both for  monitoring of
minors - both in terms of content of minors as well as minor  selling items
[as that seemed to be also what is complicating the  situation in India--not
just the pornography element, I would say] but also it  would allow for them to
increase in revenue if they charged to enter it...[plus  it would allow for
those who would prefer to not think about such things to not  have to if we
don't ... ]

But, mostly--it makes me so so sad.  Someone who probably is  creative--could
have used his creativity for something productive and helpful  for the world.
 Instead, he (probably) exploited someone (unless she  was 'in' on the
concept with him--but I doubt it...) who (probably) cared for  him (or was
afraid if
she didn't do what he wanted that he would walk away--and  there are so many
who do not know how to deal with that...and that sort of  coercion is used
very much in teen relationships-esp these days), made light of  what she did
(probably) to bless him..and also by selling the video clip,  engaged in
something
that was illegal.

Given that his family has money, I'm sure it won't scar him and there are
enough people out there who will think it is funny and make light of it and
won't see the sorrowful ramifications of his actions so he will end up just
'fine'.  Not a better or more honorable person, probably will continue to
exploit
women/girls but will be more careful as to how he does it.  (I am  so cynical
when it comes to those who exploit Others--particularly young  women--the
stats are frightening as to their desire for a Cinderella life and a  Prince of
Man to live their lives with...even in India...esp this upcoming Gen  Y
group...Gen X women are a bit more independent and I don't worry as much about
them--they are a bit tougher in some ways [more vulnerable in others...] But,
Gen Y young ones...)

But, fortunately--there are the other sorts of boys out there which give me
hope for globally-minded soul-friends for my son and his caring crowd.   Like
what I received today while at work...

And, THESE kids are also using video technology--but oh!  THESE are  the
kinds of kids that give me hope.  NOT the kid in India.  (esp that  sort of boy
is
NOT the type that I want my son hanging around...that  boy just makes me
sad...he has missed seeing the wonder in so much...and is  unable or unwilling
use that energy he has for sweet and glorious  good...)

But, in this following sort of situation...we can vote for which spark of
creativity would win...not only do you get to see youth engaged in productive
thought and action--but we all get to see what is 'out there' that is good and
true and brave and caring and honorable and grand and glorious within the
youth  of the world...

http://advocacy.globalsolutions.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Flash_Entries
Global Solutions for a New  Year
THE CHALLENGE:  Using Flash (a poplular website movie-maker), show us a
global problem that you  care about and give us your global solution.
A CHALLENGE MET:  Get ready to be impressed, entertained, and enlightened.
These young people went  above and beyond! Here are the top ten contest
entries.
There's money on the  line, so don't forget to vote for your favorite entry!
What international  issues are on the minds of young people today? We asked
students, young  activists and artists to let us know. And we made it into an
exciting contest so  we could give out some serious cash.
The movies express  their views, their passions, and their boundless
creativity. They do not  necessarily reflect the views of Citizens for Global
Solutions. Some do not even  reflect issues that we work on. This is their
contest,
their global problems,  and their global solutions.
There's some big  money on the line. The winner gets $1000, second place
receives $500, third gets  $250. Watch some great flash movies and then vote
for
your  favorite!