[lit-ideas] Re: doubly disturbing headline of the day

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:02:05 -0500

Paul Stone wrote:

"I am curious as to know what the "something better' is that the response
DOES hint at, other than another far-removed opportunity seized upon to 'get
the message out'. Perhaps THAT is your point."

I don't know what 'get the message out' means so it probably isn't my point.
The 'something better' is the criterion of the Holocaust for moral
deliberation and action, the point I made earlier.  If one wanted to argue
with the people mentioned in the article for better treatment of
Palestinians by Israelis, wouldn't the Holocaust experience be an excellent
starting point?  Perhaps forcing the Palestinian to play the violin mocked
the Holocaust experience, but surely the physical and social marginalization
of the Palestinians is an even greater mockery?  In other words, the
reference to the Holocaust raises the possibility of improving the situation
and in this sense is something better.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON