[lit-ideas] Re: doubly disturbing headline of the day

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:17:29 -0500

Paul Stone wrote:

"That was my take. Perhaps I'm wrong."

Probably not.  My point has less to do with what the particular individuals
involved thought they were doing, and here Paul has probably got it right,
but rather the function of the Holocaust as a criterion of Israeli
behaviour.  In particular cases there likely will be distortions, but the
memory of moral offense is a good foundation for moral discourse and action.
I agree with Paul that the particular response he noted is disturbing but I
think the response also hints at something better.  I appreciate that Paul
probably disagrees with me on this.

As to Donal McEvoy's little rant, I give it here the attention it so richly
deserves.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON