[lit-ideas] Re: doubly disturbing headline of the day

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:38:00 +0000 (GMT)

> Yoram Kaniuk, author of a book about a Jewish violinist forced to play for
> a concentration camp commander, wrote in Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper that
> the soldiers responsible should be put on trial "not for abusing Arabs but
> for disgracing the Holocaust".
> <clip>
>
> WHAT?
>

> What Paul is objecting to is not clear to me.

My guess: he is objecting to the fact that the moral attack on x behaviour is
not based on how it treats human beings [in this case, "Arabs"] but because
it reflects negatively on a moral attack on x behaviour when directed against
a particular subset of persons [victims of "the Holocaust", perhaps here
meant to denote mainly, if not exclusively, Jewish rather than Arabic
peoples].

Imagine: my granny was raped and the shot by a gang some time ago. We rape
and shoot your granny. Objection to our behaviour: this belittles our
complaint about how horrific if was for that gang to rape and shoot our
granny.

What planet is Phil on?

Popper's opposition to Zionism, as indeed a form of nationalism and racism -
and one that is liable to disgrace the holocaust to boot [but that second
point is not the point why it should be opposed], may be considered here. It
is about, in a way, the universalizability of the moral treatment of
individuals irrespective of the possible ways of dividing 'individuals' into
subsets that might justify treating them differently from a moral
POV[cf.Kant].

And Phil hints he believes in Jesus? God help us.

Donal

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com