[lit-ideas] Re: deleting/culling messages

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:21:56 -0500

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

One thing that I find somewhat troublesome about sending a reply with the text to which I'm replying truncated is ... In my experience (daily) of e-mails which hit my in-box, so many have very similar or even the same subject lines -- and then, when I read the post, I have little if no clue, to what the person is responding. If he/she tags along the message I sent along with their reply I have a notion of what they're responding to.

You miss the main reason for "judicious" editing of the original in a reply: It lets you pick and choose exactly the words to which you want to call attention in the previous message. You can make the person look like a complete idiot by picking the single bad sentence in your reply, or you can completely mis-represent their position by leaving intact a parenthetical digression. And yet it seems that the words you use are not yours, but theirs! Their OWN words make them look like fools. What power! What joy!

This is MUCH more fun than letting the original poster take YOUR precious space in YOUR message; why should you share your cyber space with the person you're responding to? Let him get his/her own message space if he/she wants to send another message!

And if other people actually real ALL of the original message, they might notice the flawless logic and sense of the original post rather than agree with my chop job of the original. The cyber pen may be mightier than the cyber sword, but the cyber ax is mightier than the cyber pen!

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA