[lit-ideas] Re: death

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 18:17:01 -0230

Alas, it ain't as simple as that. For if the teaching of an aspect of science
contradicts freedom of religious exercise, the School Board finds itself in a
court case.

There's a very fine essay on this by Maya Nomi Stolzenberg in an issue of
Harvard Law Review. But I remain slothfully on holidays until next Monday and
can't find the will to track it down. She shows quite convincingly, I believe,
that US Supreme Court Justices do not inhabit that office in virtue of any
philosophical ability or acumen. (But I'm sure Obama will soon add some much
needed philosophical rigor to that august deliberative chamber.)

Btw, a colleague of mine wonders whether the idea of "the will" is not the
product of some sort of conceptual confusion or libational hallucination. After
all, if the Greeks couldn't see it, why should we? He admits that we have a
capacity to choose but wonders what "the will" could mean above and beyond this
clear and obvious capacity for choice. Clearly, he lives only to create problems
for Kantian moral theorists.

Walter O
MUN