[lit-ideas] Re: dealing with the Slobodan Husseins

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:28:38 EDT

You know, I think part of this issue is a matter of what globalization
means.  That is, what our conception of the world as a global village is as
compared with the reality.  If I were aware that my next door neighbor was  in
the
middle of murdering someone, would I intervene w/ impunity?   Absolutely.  And
technology, the instant relay of information, the  shrinking of the planet
through technology has given us this notion of a "global  community".  But
we're
not -- there's unity in some areas, but we are not  neighbors with the
countries that we know so much of what goes on in (someone  fix that sentence
for me,
please; I please exhaustion and oxycodone for broken  ribs).  We FEEL like we
are one communal planet because technology has sort  of done a smoke &
mirrors thing to us -- we are a communal planet in terms  of information and
awareness, but not in terms of .....  community.   Oh hell, I'm taking another
oxycodone and going to bed.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: dealing with the
Slobodan Husseins  Date: 7/20/05 7:58:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
The article addresses those who believe that  unilateral intervention in
another country is justified by the perception  that the country is a
site of:

I believe in this but only as a last  resort. And only if it is impossible
to get UN agreement.  I have read  that this is the case in the situation in
Darfur, due to the ruler's economic  and political relationships with other
countries.d

I believe in just  and unjust wars.  I am just not sure when I think it's
just.  I  wish I didn't need to believe in war at all, but my experience
teaches me  otherwise.

Veronica