[lit-ideas] Re: : dao

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 17:50:10 +0900

Isn't "naive realism" almost as slippery a notion as the Dao? Consider a
small ethnographic example. While doing fieldwork in northeastern Taiwan,
Stevan Harrell conducted a small survey that included the question, "Why do
you participate in festivals?" where the festivals in question celebrate
the birthdays of various Chinese deities. The sample was not statistically
significant, but the numbers are still interesting. Three of Harrell's
fourteen informants were what he labeled "local theologians." Each had
constructed an idiosyncratic philosophy incorporating elements from
traditional Chinese cosmology. One, an old woman, was the village atheist.
She said bluntly that the whole business was nonsense. The remaining ten
said only, "It is the custom." Harrell didn't, as I recall, press the
issue, but having done fieldwork myself in central Taiwan, I suspect that
even the village atheist would turn when sick to Chinese medicine, whose
explanation incorporates the same sorts of elements from traditional
Chinese cosmology as the village theologians' philosophies: at least the
Yin and Yang and the five agents (earth, water, fire, wood, and metal). The
elements in question are considered part of everyday reality by billions of
Chinese and have been so for more than two millennia. Does that make them
naively realistic?

John