[lit-ideas] Re: criteria

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 21:13:31 +0100

 I am a little tired now so I will address only the point that was
originally at issue.
To say that "there exist natural laws" is extremely vague. If metaphysics
consists of such statements it is not terribly impressive. Obviously such a
statement cannot be proven to be false, since no matter how many purported
natural laws are shown to not hold there will also remain the possibility
that there are some that do. I can just as well claim that there are
unicorns and nobody can prove that I am wrong. "Natural law" can also be
defined in various ways, and since metaphysics has warned in advance that
it is not bound by the rules of  ordinary linguistic usage the terms can
always be changed as suits the occasion.

Nevertheless: if it is agreed on all sides that, as Donal puts it, all
"natural laws" are *logically* contingent i.e. no "natural law" may be
deduced from logic" - in other words if the existence of even one natural
law cannot be deduced logically- then a fortiori the existence of a
plurality or a totality of them cannot be deduced logically. If I cannot
logically deduce that even one unicorn exists, still less can I logically
deduce that the universe must be governed by one or more unicorns. Since no
empirical observation or testing is admitted to bear, then I don't see how
the claim can be rationally proven or rationally refuted. This doesn't
exactly make it meaningless, but it might make it useless.

O.K.