[lit-ideas] Re: consider

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:52:52 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Fri, 13/6/08, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: consider
> To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Friday, 13 June, 2008, 9:58 AM
> Eric wrote:
>
> "It depends, to some extent, whether imagination is
> the only subject
> that CANNOT represent itself."
>
> If I imagine making a promise, do I have to keep it?

Ans.No - not in law anyway. Morally? - Who knows?

> If I imagine I am Superman, do I need to worry about
> kryptonite?

Ans. I imagine so, at least in your imagination.

> If I dream that I am lecturing and then realize I don't
> have pants on,
> will I be arrested?

Ans. Perhaps, if (though you are dreaming) you are in fact lecturing, or if you
have committed an earlier offence, or if you are black in Roxburgh.

Another question:- can I imagine myself imagining? If so, am I "representing"
imagining through an act of imagination? If so, in what sense? And in what
sense am I not "representing" imagining through an act of imagining?

Donal
(Still awaiting an good answer to the question:- "Can I imagine '2+2=4'? Can I
imagine '2+2=5'?)
Slum landlord
London

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.