[lit-ideas] Re: conference on hypothesis testing

  • From: John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:29:03 -0500

Donal McEvoy wrote:
Try all you like but they seem hellbent on examining 'What is it like to be the
only gay in the village and use 'w' as a vowel?',

When I was in second grade, I distinctly remember being taught the vowels by making a hand-outline on my newsprint paper and writing A-E-I-O-U on all the finger tips, and then writing W and Y on the heel of the hand. But years later, I realized that only "Y" was REALLY a vowel, and couldn't see why in the world I had remembered both W and Y. Was it my first confirmed faulty memory example? Was I mis-taught in Pennsylvania? Was there some secret that only my second grade teacher knew that nobody else knew? My "hypothesis" is that there is a problem somewhere; this is fairly easy to test, at least. But now you have given me a new hypothesis to test: Perhaps my second grade teacher was Welsh!!! Or at least realized English included the possibility of using "W" as a vowel, in some localities? Is "W" really a vowel in Welsh? Or is this also just some kind of weird dream from my past?