[lit-ideas] Re: conference on hypothesis testing

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:55:52 -0700

Donal wrote

Madrid? As Cliff Richard tells the Shadows, "Let's have it right here".

With one alteration, "no...active engagement between the participants" is not a
mandatory rule but just something that may occur naturally.

Strange that they avoid all mention of the word "induction" [or the relative
role of 'confirmation' versus 'falsification'] though this would seem central to all the
disputes mentioned.

Not so strange, I think. Apparently they believe that if the statisticians can get it together, testing hypotheses will be childs' play. If it isn't already. You and John McCreery should round up some of the anarchists from the recent G8 summit, outfit them with balaclavas and placards, and block the entrance to Tilburg University. For a start. I'd come along, but I'm signed up to picket the Welsh phenomenology meeting the same week.

Robert Paul