[lit-ideas] Re: comments the DEMs must defend

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:10:01 -0800 (PST)

Is this a poem, Lawrence ? Certainly it doesn't look
like reasoned argument. A lot of people thought prior
to the war that Saddam would probably have some WMDs
somewhere, but not a lot of people thought that he had
them in large quantities or of a high quality which
would justify presenting him as a serious threat. This
was something that was beefed up by the intelligence
reports and political speeches. Bush made specific
claims about the kinds and quantities of the WMDs
Saddam was supposed to have prior to the war (the
State of the Union speech) and we now know that these
claims were not supported by evidence. There were also
the IAEA reports which suggested that Saddam might not
have any WMDs at all and these claims were ignored.

Personally, I thought that the Democrats, i.e. the
leadership of the Democrat Party, need to defend the
charges of supporting the war or not opposing it
strenuously when such opposition was badly needed.

O.K.

I suppose it makes Leftists feel good

To lyingly cry "lie," but 'tis a lie anyone

Who has kept up with

Knows and decries.

Not being anti-intellectual,

I read about Saddam and his Iraq.