[lit-ideas] Re: comments the DEMs must defend

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:38:05 -0800

Hah!  I was wondering if some logically challenged Leftist was going to do
that.  I accuse Andreas of lying because he uses the false figure of 600,000
Iraqi dead.  Simon jumps in with the illogical "maybe even just 30,000, and
that amount of innocent Iraqis surely doesn't matter at all," he says
ironically.  Since he doesn't believe in Logic he will have no idea what I'm
talking about, but I'll explain just for the record.  If I say Andreas has
lied by using the false number 600,000 as the number of Iraqis killed since
the beginning of the invasion and Simon disputes that by saying even 30,000
killed would be a bad thing, he has said nothing to dispute my assertion
that Andreas has lied.  His response does not relate to my assertion that
anyone claiming that 600,000 have been killed since the invasion is lying.

Here, I'll help.  A legitimate response might be, "Andreas meant 60,000 and
misplaced the decimal; therefore he wasn't lying.  I would have to accept
that.  Another legitimate response would be Andreas was just confused.  He
heard 600,000 some place and didn't bother to check it out.  But now he
stands corrected.  I would accept that as well.  I can't of course accept
Simon's irrelevancy.

Simon expresses befuddlement about what I mean when I accuse Leftist of
Lying by using the false figure of 600,000.  I'll demonstrate by accusing
Simon of lying.  Notice in his note that he implies that all the Iraqi dead
are "innocent."  Simon's implication is that none were enemies of American
or the Iraqi government.  None were Baathist holdouts.  None were Saddam
supporters with no place else to go and nothing to lose.  All were innocent
civilians.  This is false.  This is a lie.  Simon is lying.

Yes, some innocent people are in that 30,000 number: those killed by the
insurgents; the Iraqi policemen, and the civilians and soldiers blown up by
IEDs and suicide bombers.  But the larger number I suspect are of the
guilty, those who supported Saddam Hussein and now support Al Quada's
attempt to disrupt the Iraqi government, throw Iraq into turmoil, incite
civil war and perhaps acquire a new Islamist state or region from which to
launch terrorist attacks - perhaps even a new home for Osama bin Laden
himself.   Leftist arguments are in support of bin Landen's goals for Iraq,
and that's no lie!

Lawrence

  _____