[lit-ideas] chinatown

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 05:14:12 +0000

Searle's view, which has been stated countless times as follows.
Skip the argument, the thesis is
1. A TT (i.e. Turing test) is neither necessary nor sufficient for establishing
that x is intentional, for arbitrary x. if x is the Chinese room, the argument
claims to prove that it does a. pass TT 2. does not have any 'semantic' power -
dr Paul is correct in claiming that 'intentional' is an adjectival that stems
from antiquity and it indicates, after Brentano's work, the 'property of being
about'. the Chinese room utters and writes piece of syntax w/out semantics
2. there is one and only one machine that has syntax and semantics, and that is
the brain of humans, which is reproducible by standard sex activities, hence we
produce machines, known to the uncouth as children with semantics and syntax,
hence those are intentional machines.