[lit-ideas] Re: censure & impeachment

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:49:45 -0000

He was impeached, Carol. But an impeachment is an indictment.
Following impeachment, a trial takes place in the Senate.  It found Clinton
not
guilty.

 Impeachment in the United States is an expressed power of the
legislature which allows for formal charges to be brought against
a high official of government for conduct committed in office.
The trial or removal of an official is separate from the act of
impeachment. Typically, the lower house of the legislature
will impeach the official and the upper house will conduct the trial.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_in_the_United_States

 In 1998, as a result of allegations that he had lied during
grand jury testimony regarding his personal indiscretions
with a young female White House intern (Monica Lewinsky),
Clinton was the second U.S. president to be impeached by the
House of Representatives. He was tried in the Senate and acquitted
of the charges brought against him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton

>Which action is stronger--impeachment or censure? Does
> either necessarily  lead to being ousted from office?

a censure is weaker than an impeachment.  (I assume no trial is involved.)
If the Senate finds an impeached person guilty, they are -- I believe --
automatically removed from office.

Judy Evans, Cardiff