[lit-ideas] Re: cartoons

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:05:41 -0500

Phil: I suspect, however, that the commotion centers around a few particular cartoons, especially the one I noted of Mohammad with a bomb on his head. There is nothing redeeming about that cartoon. It exists only to provoke outrage. Shame on the cartoonist and shame on a culture that justifies it.

Eric: Phil, this time you are as wrong as wrong can be.

Some cartoons exist ONLY to provoke outrage. How about Honore Daumier's satirical lithographs that caused such furor in the 1830s? Outrage is an important product of art.

Bombhead Muhammed is particularly apt. It asks, "Why do some Muslims hide their use of C-4 behind the Prophet?"

Shame on a culture that is so brittle and repressive it cannot take satire and deal with the outrage of being shown its worst side.

And by the way, what about the cartoon of the cartoonist nervously drawing Muhammed, while glancing behind his back?