[lit-ideas] Re: booksbooksbooks

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:32:03 +0900

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I’ve been reading Annie Proulx, lately: That Old Ace in the Hole. I liked
> it. I like most of her stuff: Annie Proulx is inimitable.

I'll second that. To me *That Old Ace in the Hole* is particularly gripping.
My late uncle Phil Campbell, who rose through the Talmadge machine to become
Commissioner of Agriculture in the state of Georgia, bolted the Democratic
Party in 1968 to help carry Georgia for Richard Nixon, was rewarded by
becoming Undersecretary of Agriculture in the Nixon administration, and was
a prime mover in the introduction of industrialized agribusiness into the
South was a thoroughly nice man. When I failed to get tenure at Middlebury
College, he offered to set Ruth and I up with a pig-feeding operation (the
stage between the piglets and the slaughterhouse). Instead I followed Ruth
to Japan, but imagining someone scouting for properties on which to set up
pig farms has a personal resonance.

John

--
John McCreery