[lit-ideas] Re: booksbooksbooks

  • From: "veronica caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:26:28 -0400

I think your judgment would have been more accurate if you had added the words "most" or "few" to your estimation of which gender would like which books.

There have been a number of books mentioned on this list about books members wanted to discuss. I didn't respond because I had read the books a long time ago and did not feel able to discuss it intelligently, due to an unwillingness to re-read them.

I think Cormac McCarthy is one of the best writers in the English language, as does one of my best lady friends. I read "Canticle for Leibowitz" when it first came out, years ago.

"The Winter Vault" sounds like something I would not like and would not read. I agree that Mr. McCarthy is an unlikely choice for Oprah, except that she likes books with children in it. But it doesn't go with her always upbeat/spiritual bent.

Veronica Caley
----- Original Message ----- From: <dsavory@xxxxxxxxx>