[lit-ideas] Re: bombing for sex/handling with care

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:02:14 +0100 (BST)

It still puzzles me why this kind of material is raised here. Not that it is
not of interest.

This story may have a true gist or be part of a propaganda war: I recommend
Martin Dillon's books on the 'conflict' in Northern Ireland.

Here we learn, inter alia,

1. The denials and dissembling of both sets of paramilitaries re 'things gone
wrong'.

2. The denials and dissembling of the British Govt. re 'things gone wrong'
[the on-going 'Bloody Sunday Inquiry', where the initial inquiry by Lord
Widgery was met by nationalist graffiti, alluding to a current washing-powder
advertisement - 'Widgery Washes Whiter'*, perhaps shows the truth of these
things are not often reflected well at the time; anyone here divorced, think
of what you said and thought then, now _with full honesty_ what do you
think?]

*They were right:- it almost certainly was a British Establishment whitewash:
that even some fervent Unionists do not deny - but they just wish millions of
pounds was not being spent better than re-investigating. Main proof of
whitewash: Widgery took as primary what the soldiers [alleged murderers]
said[in their own cause], and as very much tertiary what anyone else says
that might differ. [Imagine a Warren Comission that took Lee Harvey's
evidence as its North Star].

*Smart 'diffuse-the-situation' move by Lord Widgery? Not apparently.
The PIRA had queues forming after Sunday Mass for recruitment as a result.
Not smart. Things entrenced and escalated.

3. The propaganda lies that emanated from both sets of paramilitaries.

4. The propaganda lies that emanated from the British state.**

**One could bring the Irish Govt. in 'to book' too.

However...

No one understanding this kind of potentially propagandistic material would
take various claims made on this forum at face value. Thankfully I suspect
relatively few do.

I also suggest this kind of material often is a little removed from the
'bringing-the-conflict-to-resolution' aim. I may be wrong. It may be intended
with peace in mind but as educative nevertheless.

And I understand that 'once one side' posts, others may feel bound to
respond.

Still, re such material: handle with care.

Donal
London

WIN FREE WORLDWIDE FLIGHTS - nominate a cafe in the Yahoo! Mail Internet Cafe
Awards  www.yahoo.co.uk/internetcafes