[lit-ideas] Re: bombing for ??

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:26:10 -0500

Omar Kusturica wrote:
> --- carol kirschenbaum <cskir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Having lived in Israel for
>>
>>>seven years, I think that I have got the right to
>>
>>form
>>
>>>some opinions.
>>
>>And nobody else here does, according to you--unless
>>they agree with you.
>>Your claim to objectivity, based on this oft-stated
>>credential (having lived
>>in Israel), has worn thin.
>

> *I have not claimed objectivity, read my lips, I have
> only claimed familiarity with both sides of the case.
> I have not claimed that I view them both with an equal
> amount of sympathy or give them equal weight.

**Understood, Omar.  But aren't you perhaps missing an opportunity for
bolstering your case -- by continually attacking the Israeli supporters
instead of their message??  And would it not be better to produce more
balanced evidence than your usually obvious single-minded Palestinian
operated news organizations (despite the now and again Ha'Aretz articles
and one or two others)??  Are they more believable than MEMRI --
according to whom??

> We all have a "right" to
>
>>voice our opinions here.
>

> *My objection was not to you expressing your opinions,
> but to your manner of doing so selectively, only on
> those occasions when you are certain to hold a high
> moral ground, as you are doing here.

**Are you not following that very same behaviour??

>>Most of the people you label pro-Israel--all of them
>>on this list, to my
>>knowledge--are deeply sympathetic to the human
>>suffering on all sides. I
>>doubt that there's anyone who is "anti-Palestinian"
>>on this list.
>

> *Your beatiful souls aside, the very title of this
> thread strikes me as being nearly racist. The violence
> that comes from the Palestinian camp springs not from
> daily suffering under the occupation, or even from
> their political ideals, but from some alleged sexual
> pathology inherent to their society. If that is not
> "anti-Palestinian," I wonder what would be.

**A (not so) neat elision -- perhaps the point under current discussion
is (should be) more important.

**Omar: do YOU have a plan or idea to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian
situation -- perhaps even an outline to limn for us...??

TC,

/Steve Cameron, NJ