[lit-ideas] bin Laden: it's the economy stupid

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:40:54 -0500

The Binster said, "Meaning that every dollar of al-Qaida defeated a
million dollars by the permission of Allah, besides the loss of a huge
number of jobs."

_____

This reference to job loss is sort of touching, isn't it? Clearly Bin
Laden clearly cares about the economy, about the problems of job
outsourcing and post-9/11 recapitalization.

I thought he was all bombs and Allah and opportunistic pomposity. But it
turns out he does have a heart.

Goes to show that you can never judge people by the size of the
murderous terrorist organization they run. You gotta look closer,
beneath the digitally-encrypted secret messages and money transfers.
Clearly we have to get out of Plato's cave, once in a while, and go into
  bin Laden's.

Eric
between assignments in Manhattan