[lit-ideas] bible belt buckles

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 01:56:05 -0500

The question is whether JL knows whereof he speaks.  For instance (and this
is only an instance -- god forbid it should be a minutance) JL says:

>W. Marston has an issolect for that, noting the dialectal variance between
>'God bless you' -- as a reply to 'Atchoo', and the elliptical 'Bless you',
and
>noted it corresponds to the so-called 'Bible Belt'.

I have news for JL, not only can he be a part of the Bible Belt but he can
have an actual Bible Belt Buckle.
http://www.christianlink.com/gifts/biblebuckle/

This is surely more exciting than Marston's issolect, whatever the heck that
is.  For a belt without a buckle is like a Church without a collection
plate, neither could support itself..

I am, as most of you know, a Biblebelter.  I've lived among Biblebelters for
more than half a century.  They're friendly people, Biblebelters.  Pretty
uneducated, but friendly.   Pretty racist, but friendly.  Pretty
militaristic, but friendly..  Pretty homophobic, but friendly.  Pretty
xenophobic, but friendly.  Pretty cold-hearted, but friendly.  Pretty
sexist, but friendly.  Pretty "fuck you,
yougoddamnmotherfuckingtreehuggingsonsofbitches," but friendly.  Pretty much
unaware of everything around them, but friendly.  And friendly IS what
matters, isn't it?

>What Geary fails to respond to is the obvious ellipsis, from "_God bless
>(subjunctive) you" to "Bless you".

No longer do I fail to respond.  Goddless Communism is to blame for most
ellipses..  Before the Supreme Court became a tool of the Commies and said
it was OK to burn our flag, and to keep to Christ from attending public
schools and crecheing out on government property, well, we knew who we were
then -- we were God fearing Biblebelters!  Who knows who we are now?

Mike Geary
Memphis