[lit-ideas] Re: army shields

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 00:48:24 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

If you could answer the question, you would have.  Why not "just want to talk
about Iraq"?  It's a huge, huge monstrous deal that basically taught the
terrorists they have nothing to fear from the U.S.  It transformed the U.S. and
the world, ended our supremacy.  So why not talk about it, except that there is
nothing good to say about it.

It's curious that you mention the radioactive cow that is Iraq.  Did you know
that we spend in one year chasing down the highly enriched uranium that is
basically a nuclear weapon unto itself, what we spend every three and one half
days in Iraq.  Why?  Because there is no ideology attached to it, i.e., no
spread of democracy, no regime change and the like.  Also because there's no
money to be made on it.  It's a low tech process that doesn't need development
of sophisticated, expensive weapons systems.  (Joseph Cirincione's book: "Bomb
Scare: The History and Future of Nuclear Weapons").  In a concerted effort, if
there was interest, we could eliminate all of the 26,000 warheads and other
fissionable material in the entire world in a few years, but there is little
interest.  That seems a little strange given the 1% doctrine, but that's the
way it is.

Also, all this business with Iran developing nuclear weapons.  States are not
the problem; terrorists are.  These materials are not well guarded.  Only a
state can develop a hydrogen style bomb, but terrorists can cobble together and
detonate a small bomb, the size of what blew up Hiroshima, from the plentiful
preexisting materials all around the world.  They could make it small enough to
ship by Fedex.  Adding insult to injury, we can easily track this stuff down,
but once it's acquired by a terrorist, stopping it will be very difficult.
Guarding the ports is virtually impossible.  So, Iraq is a bigger loss than
even it looks on the surface.

In the meantime, we're keeping our nation strong with stuff like this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/06/AR2007020601997.html