[lit-ideas] Re: another really old poem

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:50:29 -0500

Old poems by a young poet.  Poetry as documentary.  That's what I'd like to
investigate.  Picking up any collected work, I'm always intrigued whether
I'll like the young passionate poet (sometimes the young pretentious poet),
the ironic middleaged one (sometimes the besotted one) or the old, crochety,
dispassionate, wise one (sometimes the passionate one).  I wish I had kept
better notes.  But in fact, I've kept none at all.  I'm guessing that my
preferences probably varied with my own stage of life at the moment.  But I
don't know that.  I know that much of the very early Merwin I dislike -- I
think he was trying to prove he could write what everyone else was writing
at the time, but then he suddenly went his own way, nevertheless, his way
has continued to change.  How he writes now is very different from pieces
like Departure's Girlfriend, which I posted earlier.  I love that poem and
chose it because the images are so vivid but the theme and its emotional
content are not so readily analyzable, you're not exactly sure what's going
on.  Even the title itself is more complex than I like to get on an average
day.  I wish I had the time to sit down and really go through his works and
trace the aesthetic and psychological development in him  -- but who would
take care of all these air conditioning problems if I did that?  Choices,
choices, choices.  Err on the side of comfort, I always say.  And no doubt,
some day some dissertation-hungry English major will pick up the collected
works of Eric Yost and do just such a tracing out of his life.  And perhaps
in his research he'll uncover this post wherein I confess to much
fellow-feeliing and kinship with these two poems.  Remembering how I too
once would release bugs back into the world where they belonged -- which
sure as hell wasn't my world! --  rather than annihilate them.  They have as
much right to be here as I do, after all.  But now, I'm more like William
Stafford:

Travelling through the dark I found a deer
dead on the edge of the Wilson River road.
It is usually best to roll them into the canyon:
the road is narrow; to swerve might make more dead.

By glow of the tail-light I stumbled back of the car
and stood by the heap, a doe, a recent killing;
she had stiffened already, almost cold.
I dragged her off; she was large in the belly.

My fingers touching her side brought me the reason --
her side was warm; her fawn lay there waiting,
alive, still, never to be born.
Beside that mountain road I hesitated.

The car aimed ahead its lowered parking lights;
under the hood purred the steady engine.
I stood in the glare of the warm exhaust turning red;
around our group I coud hear the wilderness listen.

I thought hard for us all -- my only swerving --
then pushed her over the edge into the river.
                        ***

And though your soul screams No! in thunder, there you are,  always the
prisonier of choices.  So Eric like I, like so many lovers of life saved
countless millipedes for the epicurean delight of shrews, frogs, lizards,
bettles and birds.  But our hearts were in the right place.  I'm sure of
that.  Spiders though, I'll kill without thinking.

Twenty years ago I used to love to watch The Young Ones -- a BBC comedy
series if you're not familiar with it.  Four college guys living together
(in England).  A hippy, a lady's man, an anarchist and a punk rocker.  It
was quite absurd and hopelessly silly, but I loved it wildly.  Nevermind
that I was 42 years old then and cracking up like a teenager.  I should have
been embarrassed.  Arrested development and all that.  But I wasn't.  I
chose to believe that when something comes alive in you, it's its own
justification -- there's no need to explain anything.  You just go with it,
goddamnit.  That's what poetry can be, I think.  You can love a poem that
you know you don't understand, but still feel it speaking to you at some
level, rhythm, euphony, perhaps only in an image that grabs you by the shirt
front and shakes you, something there in the language that shouts Listen up.
The late Victorians thought that poetry would one day replace religion.
What a terrible thing that would be.  There's no claim of truth in poetry,
no grounding, no ethical/moral prescriptions, just fascination and wonder
and fun and enormous sorrow.

OK, Sunday's over now.  No more sermonizing.  Sorry.
Mike Geary
Memphis