[lit-ideas] Re: and talking of gender: Marilyn French, RIP

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 19:13:29 +0000 (GMT)

JL> "All men are rapists,  and that's all they
> are" -
>
> -- she 'wrote' in her book.
> and
>
> >it entered the popular lexicon ...

I didn't notice the 'lexicon' part, I was too busy remembering the scene in the
book from which that emerged.  I really don't remember anybody focussing on
those words at the time (Susan Brownmiller'd already said something a bit
similar) but it may be there was a US/UK difference.

But to your point.   I'd say your Chomsky-invocation's right!

 whenver they mean
> 'exotic' they write "South
> America".

:) -- I don't know France's book