[lit-ideas] Re: anchors

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 02:04:20 -0500

Frankly, I've always preferred Margaret Warner and Gwen Ifill on
McNeil-Lehrer -- two good anchors. Gwen Ifill who's also the anchor on
Washington Week in Review. And Katie Couric is some interviewer. She can be
one tough interviewer, if her subject tries to duck her. And Margaret
Warner -- before she got that plum anchoring many of the segments on
McNeil-Lehrer (should say The News Hour) -- was visibly a great interviewer
and brilliantly knowledgeable reporter. Now that she's making more money,
her talents are less visible.

Brian Williams is just a pretty face. He's got nothing to offer but those
fancy eyebrows that make him look so quizzically smart. Brokaw, too --
another pretty face but with a bit more age to give it class. I don't know
how anyone can think that Brokaw had anything but a nice voice and a kindly
manner.

I want more than anything a Brian Williams can offer -- ever.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, Maine