[lit-ideas] Re: amid miserable thoughts of Enoch Powell, some good news

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:51:46 +0000 (GMT)

(*Illegal* immigrants!! -- their grandfather and father came here using forged
papers, fleeing as the German Army moved through Belgium. There's more at the
wikipedia entry on Ralph)

yes that is an interesting difference. I always thought of Ralph (he taught me)
as Belgian. This is their mother's story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/7730052/The-miraculous-escape-of-Marion-Miliband.html

> Why do you prefer Ed to David?  Just curiosity; I've
> never heard either, or even read anything they wrote or
> said.

David's too identified with Blairite New Labour (which Ed has just pronounced
dead), Ed was a Brownite who did though manage to talk to the Blair camp.
(They called him "the emissary from planet David, we now know, was informed
about -- I hesitate to say "approved" -- torture.  Ed is not associated with
the Iraq War.

David's the one the Tories feared (good Foreign Secretary, loved by Hillary
Clinton), Ed is also centre-Left really but, well, more Left than David! And I
get a better vibe from Ed, for what that's worth.

I should say I know a lot more about David, Ed's decision to run for leader was
unexpected, to put it mildly.

Judy Evans, Cardiff.