[lit-ideas] Re: alcohol and parody

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:26:06 -0700 (PDT)

Omar, you're taking it personally.  Everybody's angry, absolutely everybody.
Why are we in freakin' wars since day one?  Because the world is a happy place?
 But you're right, if people just said, I'm fucking angry so I'll punch
something inanimate until I'm not angry, things would be very different.  But
people won't do that and things will never be different.  Until then,
pretending civility is the best we can do.  Look at it this way, at least
you've never been called shit faced for absolutely no reason at all.

  Regarding the alcohol, drinking alcohol is different from being an alcoholic,
but mocking alcoholics is so low.  It takes someone really shut down to do
that.  Especially since some of the most respected people in the world were
alcoholics, John Berryman, Edgar Allan Poe, Truman Capote, Jack London, Ernest
Hemingway, William Faulkner, and lots and lots of others.  Okay, Eric, what
say, let's mock all those people.

  In the meantime, civility counts for a lot.  If civility is all we can
manage, then we've managed a lot more than most of the world can do.

Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Stan,

For someone so filled with virulent personal hatred of
Omar Kusturica, you are pretty good at maintaining a
pretense of even-handedness and civility.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com
http://mail.yahoo.com