[lit-ideas] Re: al Sheehan And The Spotlight

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:04:00 +0100

Sunday, October 2, 2005, 6:48:52 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

EY> Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Cindy Sheehan's son. He
EY> re-enlisted knowing that he was going to Iraq. That tells me that
EY> was what he wanted his life to mean. He died during a volunteer
EY> mission.

Agreed.

EY> That's why I say Cindy Sheehan must have been an oppressive mother.

I don't follow the logic here, Eric.

EY> It's all about her.

Someone once said, pre-Google so it will take me a while to find  a
cite, that in the end women will stop war because they have nothing
left to lose.  In that sense, it is indeed "all about" the grief and
sorrow and loss of a woman. But if you mean, as perhaps you do, that
Sheehan is not the simple ordinary mother archetype, if you mean she
has an agenda (as she does) does that detract from her grief and from
the justice of her cause?

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx