[lit-ideas] Re: ah, education

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 02:08:04 -0400

I read that most teachers now come from the bottom third of the high school graduating classes. I don't know if this is true. What is true is that older, experienced teachers are paid to retire so new teachers can be hired at lower pay.

Part of the problem here as I see it is that there are too many young teachers who over identify with the kids they are teaching and want their approval. Older, more experienced teachers, even at the college level, are frequently in trouble. Students take teachers to a 'court' to discuss why they didn't get an 'A' since they tried. My sister retired of her own volition as she saw this trend in the younger teachers and she couldn't stomach it.

Veronica Caley
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>