[lit-ideas] Re: a suggestion for improving the political system

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:39:28 -0500

But also a recognition that the staff of a Prez is sometimes more important than the Prez, and so should be held up to scrutiny before the election.

Agreed. In fact, no one man could begin to be knowledgeable about most of what comes under the purview of a President. What a President is most knowledgeable about is, I would submit, electioneering. A President has little awareness of what's going on in the various departments of government -- governance it's mostly about department heads -- especially if the opposition is weak. And so I agree with Eric that that's the real ball game. But, of course, his hyperbolic solution has as much chance of success and I do winning the lottery. From my perspective one can only watch the candidates and try to determine what kind of people are closest to him -- those who will be bringing him names of possible department heads. Surely nothing Bush did as President should be surprising after learning he had appointed Cheney to advise him of whom to put forward as Vice President -- it all fell together from that moment. I don't have a lot of confidence in brilliance -- though I'd like my President to be able to be fluent in his native tongue, but she need not be eloquent. Who does she kick around with? -- that's far more telling of how his administration will govern. It all comes down to gut feelings, I'm afraid.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>