[lit-ideas] Re: a question for the sages here

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:22:47 EST

In a message dated 3/15/2006 8:06:44 P.M. Central Standard Time,
john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

In the  U.S. the technical term for this wide-spread malady would be
"shopping."

Hi,
Actually, from what I understand from a clinical psychologist friend of
mine, there is a subset of obsessive-compulsive disorder which *has* to collect

for the sake of collecting. Those folks would not be able to return items after
 shopping (like a shopoholic often does).

Often it is mostly called 'hoarding' of whatever is being collected that
makes it differ from
other sorts of collecting because one likes something ...     It actually is
a brain-thing that has been identified (I believe he told me that  there were
three types of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder...this was just one
manifestation of it...)

I'll see if I can find some of the references on it...

Best,
Marlena