[lit-ideas] Re: a question about Dylan

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:57:34 -0800

I don't think Dylan was insincere at any point in the interview, but if you
saw Masked and Anonymous, you?ll recall that Jack Fate never answered most
of (I want to say ?any of? but I only watched the movie once) Tom Friend?s
(the journalist?s) questions.  Dylan gave Bradley answers but it took a
different sort of person than Bradley to understand and ask the next logical
question ? which Bradley never did.

Dylan?s interest in fame was also explored when Bradley noted that Dylan had
the top song and a total of 12 in the Rolling Stone?s all-time top song
list.  Bradley asked some silly question like ?doesn?t that make you feel
proud??  Dylan said, ?this week.?  He can feel proud this week, but he knows
the adulation won?t last. In a while they?ll forget him and go on to someone
else.  ?All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as flowers in
the field: The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the
Lord bloweth upon it . . .?  And Dylan knowing this would never value fame
more than the flowers in the field ? which isn?t to say that they aren?t
beautiful while they are blooming.

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto