[lit-ideas] a new novel

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:48:28 -0400

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=536594

As the news reported the other day, apparently, Nicholson Baker's new novel
[Checkpoint] set for release on Aug 24 -- the eve of the Rep. Nat Conv. --
spends most of its 115 pages outlining a conversation between two people
detailing an assassination plot of GWB. Now, I'm a big fan of Baker having
read all his other books and I can imagine how this plays out. Just two
guys talking about how much they want to kill a guy (who happens to be the
Prez) and how they would do it. Remember, this is a guy who wrote about
Armande Klockhammer (the Fermata -- sorry, you'll have to read it yourself
to find out), and Vox.

For the last three years or so, I get the Iron Curtain treatment from the
border guards at Detroit every time I go there -- which is as infrequent as
possible specifically BECAUSE of this treatment since 9/11. And just last
week, three young men from Windsor were freed after being incarcerated for
22 days in Detroit. They were testing out a new boat and crossed into
American waters where they were arrested and detained for 22 days because
of this silly "homeland security" act. Afterall, they made the mistake of
joyously going for a spin -- without "zee papas"!!!

Now, given the absolutely paranoid behaviour of the US government @
checkpoints are they going to start rounding up former librarians turned
authors and start actually censoring what they can and can't say? It's a
tad ironic that a vice-president can say "fuck you" but if you try and say
"NO. FUCK YOU!!!" back, you are in trooooooooou-bull.  How many of us are
also guilty of uttering under our breaths "this guys a real asshole"? It
actually seems that the tables are turning and the leaders of the world are
playing by different rules. Of course they always have, but previously they
needed to be accountable to us, now WE need to be accountable to THEM.

Of course, Canada is guilty of this same ridiculousness too. Karla Homolka
-- that psycho murderess who made a deal with the D.A. just so they could
"Get" Paul Bernardo a decade ago will soon be a free woman after serving
her 12 years. A writer who wrote about details of the case faces bankruptcy
and a jail term because 'you just don't write certain things' in this
"FREE" country of ours.

I wonder if this email was found by the 'echelon' people searching for the
keywords "assassinate" and "GWB". Maybe I'll get extra-frisked when I next
go to the big city.

wondering if, in the eyes of some powers that be, perhaps a word in seed is
an act in deed.
Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx