[lit-ideas] Re: a million little pieces

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:57:45 -0600

EY:

Twelve step supposedly helps a lot of people, but it sounds cultish and fascist.

If by 'twelve step', you mean AA, no. AA is practically the antithesis of fascism. And it's certainly not cultish, they're an open book. I'm surprised you would think so. I thought everyone by the age of 30 had been through AA at least once. The twelve steps are steps not commandments. Many people go to AA and never do the program. And even doing the program is doing it your way. And many people like myself have never had any intention of giving up drinking for good, AA is just a way of getting a handle on too much fun. Every AA group is on it's own. Nothing comes top down but some lame suggestions, ideas, hopes, etc. Every group is different. I've noticed that most folks chose groups like themselves -- imagine that! But still, I'd say that probably the most open-minded people I've ever met were through AA. Anyway, all this reminds me of Stew's wonderfully funny song, Rehab. Stew is the Negro with the band The Negro Problem, it's a very catchy tune:

when she got out of re-hab
for the very first time
she was very very very optimistic
first she bought a set of paints
then she started painting saints
'cause in Echo Park that passes for artistic
then one day her art dealer came by with a sin
next thing we knew she was on the rope again
when she got out of re-hab
for the very first time
she was very very very very very very very very very very very optimistic

     [children's chorus]
     very very very very very very very very very very very optimistic

when she got out of re-hab
for the very second time
it was clear that she was painfully embarrassed
she was brimming with clichés
spoke of how she counted days
playing checkers with a roadie from Save Ferris
then she hit Los Feliz with some homemade earrings to sell
but the hip gift shop assistant led her back to hell
when she got out of re-hab for the very second time
she was very very very very very very very very very very very optimistic

     [children's chorus]
     very very very very very very very very very very very optimistic

when she got out of re-hab for the third or fourth time
i suspected well, a kind of pattern forming
so i plotted carefully
how i'd bow out gracefully
cause i've seen this flick before
and it gets boring
next she's in a band called Star of David Brinkleys
they were ropers one and all but they loved them at the Weekly
when she got out of rehab for the third or fourth time
she was very very very very very very very very very very very optimistic

[children's chorus]

     very very very very very very very very very very very optimistic

when she got out of re-hab for the twenty-second time
her new take on life was very deep and empty
she traded mainline for online then she took up web design
now she's paid in full and blows the horn of plenty
once she said "hey listen baby I ain't gonna lie
there just ain't nothing I like more than getting high"
and funny how the maniacs who took the time to sob
seem to not mind a junkie with a well paying job
when she got out of re-hab for the twenty-second time
she was very very very very very very very very very very very optimistic

[children's chorus]

     very very very very very very very very very very very optimistic

     Mike Geary

     Memphis