[lit-ideas] Re: a million little pieces

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:22:31 -0500

The difference between love and excessive love is like the difference
between water and excessive water.  Water is great, but if you had a foot
of it in your living room, that's a problem.

You like Bombay Negronis too much and
> that cocktail becomes a false idol, causing you to
> violate the First Commandment. And so on.
>
> I don't know what to make of any of these notions
> of addiction. Twelve step supposedly helps a lot
> of people, but it sounds cultish and fascist.

Or accepting and guiding, depending on one's perspective.

The
> disease model of addiction seems a betrayal of the
> human will. Wallace's notion is interesting but is
> it useful? And the biblical lust model pins every
> love on an absolute which is by definition unknowable.

Will is not even useful for new year's resolutions.  With addiction it's
useless.