[lit-ideas] Re: a little more on books

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:18:17 -0400

Hi there,

I am back after a two year illness.  The bit about Duck went to my husband by
someone using my computer but I agree with it.

This refers to an article in the New York Times about an animal processing
plant in Iowa.  They arrested a number of illegal immigrants from Guatemala who
had Social Security numbers that had belonged to Americans.  The Guatemalans
will most likely be deported after a short jail term.  The plant owners will
most likely get a slap on the wrist.  The plant is owned by an Orthodox Jewish
community with a rabbi in charge, supervising the processing of kosher meat.

The article said that the animals had their wind pipes removed while still
alive.  Hence the reference to the Humane Society.  The whole article was very
disturbing,
as it ought to be.  Also, I don't think there really are kosher Jews, just Jews
who keep kosher.  Ah, the fingers are faster than the brain, as is sometimes
the mouth.

Veronica