[lit-ideas] Re: a discipline versus discipline

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:01:04 -0330

Quoting Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>:

> WO: I understand myself to be defending a discipline, not a style of
> mind. Disciplines create styles of mind; being disciplined is a style.
>

> A discipline is a style or subject of learning, a modus in face of
> absolute mystery. A calling.
>
> Discipline is another fish altogether. Discipline is willed rigor -- a
> sternness that can kill even as the spirit giveth life, or a sanity that
> can save one from babble and triviality. Your choice.
>
> Discipline for a writer is writing three good pages a day even when one
> feels about as transcendent as a dead flounder. Discipline for a painter
> may be showing up at the canvas every day regardless of splitting
> headaches. Discipline for a philosopher may involve a similar loyalty.
>
> Yet what we do ... math or text or visuals or philosophy or making a
> good dovetailed joint in a cabinet ... is a style of our mind. It's our
> calling.
>
> You wouldn't call a good cabinetmaker undisciplined, would you?
>

> Eric

Behold a man running for political office after studying Japanese techniques of
persuasion. I can't compete with stuff like that. Note the similarities in
style and context: instead of an eel, Eric offers us flounder; instead of
beautiful women we have gorgeous joints, and instead of a watery moat we have
the painter's easel of paint. I'm persuaded.

Walter Okshevsky
Claude Levi-Strauss Professor of Rhetoric
Departement of Structural Linguistics
La Sorbonne
Paris, Ontario
Canada