[lit-ideas] Re: a dildo for Ahmadinejad

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:50:04 -0800

On Nov 17, 2006, at 9:09 AM, Eric Yost wrote:

Where do all the nasty gifts go? Every country must have people who screen their leader's mail for things like dildos wrapped in ribbons with "thinking of you" notes attached. There must be warehouses full of these gifts.

The painting studio at Chartwell, Churchill's house in Kent, has on display a selection of the gifts he was sent. I can't recall any that would come into the category "nasty," but there were some odd ones, plains indian feather war bonnets and the like. I imagined the great man wearing the bonnet in his bath, cigar in mouth, goblet of brandy within reach, trying out rhetoric on an audience in the next room.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon