[lit-ideas] Zeno & Helen Vendler

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 23:09:58 -0700

*Lawrence wrote:*
I bought the just published *The Ocean, the Bird and the Scholar *by poetry
critic Helen Vendler. In her introduction she mentions being married, for
a short time, to the linguist and philosopher Zeno Vendler. I have
encountered Helen Vendler frequently, never Zeno, but then why would I?
Perhaps Speranza would be able to say the opposite.

Zeno was born in 1921 and died in 2004. He didn't publish a great deal.
Helen was born in 1933. The Vendlers did not stay together long. I think
it's fair to say that Helen had the more semi-illustrious career.

If 'encounter' means to cross paths with, one's much more likely to have
met her in print, instead, especially in the pages of the *New York Review
of Books. *I'm sure that JL *would* say the
opposite.

Robert Paul