[lit-ideas] Re: Zardari, Obama and Bill Ayers

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 01:35:33 -0400

> I don't feel any need to discuss or defend Obama, leaving that to
> those who are more impressed with him than me.  Lawrence, your
> comments about John were unacceptable.  I hope this viciousness won't
> continue into November, since it will be unhealthy both for this list
> and you personally.

Although I too felt that Lawrence's treatment of John was not exactly
"tame". I have a HUGE problem with an expat of 32 years commenting,
let alone getting involved in the elections of his former home in any
way insinuating that he is going to sway the election by being a
significant member of "Democrats abroad"? One question: Why the fuck
are you "abroad"?

I remember a conversation I had with someone (steve chilson perhaps)
about out of Israel Jews voting in elections a few years ago. My
argument was "there are 5 million Jews in Israel, and 10 million in
the rest of the world... if the rotw Jews vote and elect someone in,
the 5 million IN Israel have to deal with that". In other words, I
think it's fucking crazy that expats get to vote (if they do,
depending on the country etc.) Like I said at the time, I had moved
counties for (I knew) four years because i was attending university
more than a hundred miles away from home. I made sure to register and
vote IN my new home. I felt that there was no way I SHOULD or COULD
vote in my old home town when I was certainly, in no way, shape or
form going to be affected by anything the new mayor/council etc. was
going to do.

I can see why you 'care' what happens, but I don't understand this
incredible interest in your chosen, former habitat. And I certainly
can't swallow someone bitching about the place they chose not to live
in anymore. You're not THERE ANYMORE!