[lit-ideas] Re: You Tube of Ayers speaking

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 03:21:32 -0500

I taught high school English.  I quit when I realized I was on the wrong side
of the fence.  The epiphany came one morning in my fith and final year of
teaching as I was driving to school.  I was late already as I frequently was
that year and I didn't care.  As I crossed the railroad tracks just south of
the school, I looked east and west and saw students from both directions
lumbering their way down the tracks, some were at least another 10 minutes
away.  They gave me courage.  I wanted to stop on the tracks and shout to them:
 "Take your time.  Enjoy your life!"   I didn't, but I did realize then that I
was more on the side of the students than the school.  And that wasn't going to
work.  I finished out the year and that was it.

Mike Geary
why do you ask?