[lit-ideas] Re: You Tube of Ayers speaking

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:29:26 -0500

Thanks, RP, for sending that. I doubt I'd ever have come across it. I was almost in tears reading his words, they took me back so immediately to that time, to the rage and helplessness of being 24 years old, believing in and loving this country and despising what it was doing. Had I been living anywhere besides the South, it's quite possible I might have succumbed to supportive anger and taken more drastic measures than just waving signs at cars and people who flipped you the finger. I knew people of greater integrity than myself who turned themselves in to the FBI for refusing to register for the draft and two of them were sentenced to jail for up to 3 years. Not me. But I know that my anger was deep enough to have taken Ayers' path had the environment been right. Had there been ten more like me in my circle, I'm sure I would have. Thank God, there wasn't. I got to live out the sorrow by teaching and in that time I learned more about defeating injustice from Martin Luther King than the Weathermen. But I know where the Weathermen came from. I know that rage. I don't think, through any of my rage against what this government was doing, that I could ever have been criticized as anti-American, the opposite really. It was fury at the sell out of America. Was there any generation who believed more in America and screamed louder at its sellout than ours?

Thanks, again.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>