[lit-ideas] Re: You Make The Old Magnolia Tree Blossom

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:38:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/30/2009 6:28:27 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
jwager@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx  wrote:
> In recent declarations, Sanford has referred to this as a 'love  story'
and
> a love story. He has become a hero in Argentina, not a  laughing-stock at
> all.  So, it's with respect that I comment on  the e-mails. To think that
a man
> in  office has time to outpour  his heart and soul like this is
commendable,
> and as  my mother  says, remindful of Wallis Simpson.
The problem with ALL love stories, of any  kind is they always have the
same ending:
Either boy loses girl, or girl  loses boy. (Or both lose each other, the
most merciful end.)

----

Sorry. A comment by always-intriguing J. Wager engages me further:

This is a yet open story. And my motivation in sharing the stuff with the
list is that aol is featuring the Governor's actual words as 'story of the
day':  So the collocation 'love story' is indeed his.

I do wonder: shouldn't he leave it all behind and settle in Argentina. As
my friends say, "He's more than welcome". They may even settle in Punta Del
Este  -- middle ground. But there are ethical issues involved with
'adultery' and  Jenny Sanford surely has a point

  "Adultery can be forgiven, but should it be condoned?"

--- What irritates me slightly is Geary's irony -- because I was heard that
 this case is like Clinton: not so much what he did, but the fact he LIED.

Yet Sanford has been totally sincere with the fact that he was having an
affair. How many husbands ASK their wives for permission to see their
'mistresses'?

The text by Sanford in aol.com is:

"This was a whole lot more than a simple affair, this was a love story,"
Sanford said. "A forbidden one, a tragic one, but a love story at the end of
the  day."

Oddly, "at the end of the day" is a _modern_ idiom.

In my previous post in this thread I cite the passage where Sanford expands
 on the nature of unconditional love.

I haven't seen a lot of debate on this by Anne Coulter. Is this beyond
rep/dem? I don't care much for that since they are meaningless terms outside
USA, right? But Sanford has been criticised as hypocrite, etc -- and perhaps
he  would have kept the whole thing secret. But the image of him leaving the
airport  for Buenos Aires on Thursday last -- alone with just a piece of
luggage was  pathetic in a good way of 'pathetic'. My thoughts with him.

And it was not, as Geary suggests, just a matter of exchanging e-mails. The
 man paid for Belem for a couple nights in Manhattan and the Hamptons and
thoroughly enjoyed the anonymity he had in Buenos Aires. (Unlike
Manhattan/The  Hamptons -- he said he only paid cash).

In the case of Wallis Simpson it did not end 'mercifully'. They are still
together buried together outside Paris. But then there was no third party
involved, other than the Crown, right?

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina