[lit-ideas] Re: Yost's offer

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:05:50 -0700

On Mar 29, 2008, at 7:49 AM, Eric Yost wrote:

By contrast, I was invited to a friend's birthday party, which was hosted by an exceptionally wealthy friend of my friend. He rented out Le Cirque on 58th for the evening and it was open bar and restaurant. Overwhelmed by opulence, I tried to buy the host a drink, and he very politely declined, but agreed to a raincheck.

Never having been in such a situation, I'm wondering how you "buy [someone] a drink" at an open bar. What do you say to the bar person, "Take this round off the tab"?

David Ritchie