[lit-ideas] Re: Ye Olde Dialectic

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 03:48:43 -0400

Robert: P. Government will do what charities now do if charities stop doing it.

____

When I called this "don't give to charities/show the government's failings" thread a Marxist notion, it was to imply that it is miserabilist. In other words, for things to get better for people, things must first get very bad indeed, so that people will take action of some kind to force a change in government.

Suppose charitable contributions drop to zero. Everyone has to rely on government funds and action to solve problems they cannot solve (or solve well) by themselves. Everything falls apart because government never had to provide for the well being of its citizens without charitable backup.

Would things just stay bad? Or would people demand, out of this chaos and misery, that government be "of the people, by the people, for the people"?

It might propel us into a dark age. Or it might unify the people as we have never, ever, even in world wars, been unified before.